Harriet Miers & The Federalist Society
Apparently the President's pick to fill Justice O'Conner's spot is no fan of everyone's favorite conservative cabal, the Federalist Society. Check out Professor Richard Garret's comments over at Bench Memos (here is a taste):
As an aside, I have worked with a couple of other Federalist Society members to develop a t-shirt with the top ten reasons ( a la David Letterman) to be a Federalist. That project got pushed aside but I think it needs to be revived. Let me know if any of you are interested in getting your hands on such a shirt.
I have, in several posts and comments (for example, here), criticized some of the criticisms of Ms. Miers's nomination, and expressed my view that it is a mistake to assume too quickly that the President has failed to nominate — as promised — conservatives to the Court or to fetishize service on the federal courts. I have to confess, though, that the recent reports (for example: here and here) about Ms. Miers's deprecating remarks about, and less-than-enthusiastic attitude toward, the Federalist Society are extremely frustrating. In my view, they also undercut the claim (which, again, I have made) that Ms. Miers is and should be regarded as, despite her lack of a paper trail or "movement" credentials, a conservative.
As an aside, I have worked with a couple of other Federalist Society members to develop a t-shirt with the top ten reasons ( a la David Letterman) to be a Federalist. That project got pushed aside but I think it needs to be revived. Let me know if any of you are interested in getting your hands on such a shirt.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home