Week In Review: 8/22 - 8/26
EVENTS: Welcome BBQ, Jurisprudence of Justice Scalia, and Discussion of Lochner v. New York
We started off the week with our Annual BBQ on August 22, 2005. We had approximately 60 people attend the event, including a few professors and members of the faculty. Retired President and Grill-Master, Kyle Beckley, manned the grill. I'd like to especially thank Chris Wu, a good friend of Chapman's Federalist Society, for making a late-in-the-game run to the grocery store for more sodas and charcoal.
The next day we hosted Chapman Professor Donald Kochan for a discussion of the Jurisprudence of Justice Scalia. Professor Kochan touched on topics such as Justice Scalia's view of the appropriate way to interpret the Constitution (textualism) and Justice Scalia's effect on administrative law. Professor Kochan also shared a personal story about how he first met Justice Scalia. A number of students emailed me to tell me that they really enjoyed that story.
On Thursday we hosted Pacific Legal Foundation Attorney and Chapman Alumni, Tim Sandefur. Tim gave an overview of Lochner v. New York, substantive due process and economic liberty. Tim has a knack for making court cases come alive and always has an interesting point of view. I especially appreciate Tim staying for at least an hour after the event to discuss everything from whether animals have rights to gay marriage with a few Chapman students. Tim will be coming back to Chapman on September 6 to discuss public interest law with our students.
I hope that the students who came to our events this week had a good time and learned a thing or two. There were a number of students who helped set things up at events or helped clean up afterwards. I really appreciate it! I'd like to specifically thank Cat Parsons, the Fed-Soc VP, for doing whatever needed to be done without being asked. This week was particularly crazy with three events the very first week back to school, all of you who chipped in to make things run smoothly deserve a pat on the back.
If you have any suggestions, comments or ideas for future events, please email me at fernrichardson@gmail.com. I hope to see all of you on Monday at the various Justice Scalia/Lochner events!
We started off the week with our Annual BBQ on August 22, 2005. We had approximately 60 people attend the event, including a few professors and members of the faculty. Retired President and Grill-Master, Kyle Beckley, manned the grill. I'd like to especially thank Chris Wu, a good friend of Chapman's Federalist Society, for making a late-in-the-game run to the grocery store for more sodas and charcoal.
The next day we hosted Chapman Professor Donald Kochan for a discussion of the Jurisprudence of Justice Scalia. Professor Kochan touched on topics such as Justice Scalia's view of the appropriate way to interpret the Constitution (textualism) and Justice Scalia's effect on administrative law. Professor Kochan also shared a personal story about how he first met Justice Scalia. A number of students emailed me to tell me that they really enjoyed that story.
On Thursday we hosted Pacific Legal Foundation Attorney and Chapman Alumni, Tim Sandefur. Tim gave an overview of Lochner v. New York, substantive due process and economic liberty. Tim has a knack for making court cases come alive and always has an interesting point of view. I especially appreciate Tim staying for at least an hour after the event to discuss everything from whether animals have rights to gay marriage with a few Chapman students. Tim will be coming back to Chapman on September 6 to discuss public interest law with our students.
I hope that the students who came to our events this week had a good time and learned a thing or two. There were a number of students who helped set things up at events or helped clean up afterwards. I really appreciate it! I'd like to specifically thank Cat Parsons, the Fed-Soc VP, for doing whatever needed to be done without being asked. This week was particularly crazy with three events the very first week back to school, all of you who chipped in to make things run smoothly deserve a pat on the back.
If you have any suggestions, comments or ideas for future events, please email me at fernrichardson@gmail.com. I hope to see all of you on Monday at the various Justice Scalia/Lochner events!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home